Lain's Memorial Page
6226 Lain Road
E. H. Lain Cider Mill
Edwin and Bertha Lain established E.H. Lain
Cider mill in 1964. The first press was purchased a few miles away from
William Durea's widow. The talk around the wood stove, at E.H. Lain's
Garage, amongst the self-proclaimed hard cider connoisseurs, led to the same
question since "Bill's" death. Where can we get our apples squeezed? Not
wanting to miss an opportunity (if you want something, go get it before
someone else does) Eddie, as his friends and associates called him, along
with Paul Vanderhoef went to see Widow Durea, coming home ready to pour
concrete and build a "shed" for the press.
The crew from around the wood stove, many friends and relatives flocked to
the new site for the press. The Cat (a 1936 RD6 Caterpillar bulldozer) was
started, a chore because it was ran only for a short time every few years,
and the ground along side the old chicken coop was groomed and readied for
the new construction. Almost everyone involved in the project had full time
day jobs so the work was done nights and weekends. After finishing work at
their ‘day jobs’ all those who could congregated at the work site and helped
or at least commented on the proceeding.
The concrete was mixed in a homemade cement mixer, built by Lawrence Smith
(a nephew); stone was moved with a 1948 Ford F-l pick up and hand labor.
Bear in mind all these gentlemen grew up in the Great Depression era so they
would never spend any money on a project unless it was absolutely necessary.
Each involved would donate any time, ideas or materials they had which was
most thankfully received. Eddie's wife, Bertha ~ also known as "Mother"
would provide baked goodies and Kool-Aid to those in attendance.
Most of the families involved had a representative present at the Durea Farm
the weekend the press and most of the building that contained it were picked
up. A 1950 Ford F-5 wrecker (whose wrecker boom was built with materials
available) with a truck frame added to the boom to make a crane to loaded
the press onto a 1950 Chevy flat bed dump. What a sight! Men, old trucks and
a press built in 1902 ready to travel the approximate eight miles to its new
Within two weeks of purchase the old press had a new home and a new life
style. A small concrete pad for the press to rest on in a shed, attached to
the cleaned old chicken coop, with a rough oak plank floor, a line shaft and
pulleys from Strait Milling Company feed mill in Canisteo to transfer power
from the 1938 W-C Allis Chalmers tractor with flat belts, it was ready to
Through the years many customers would come to see the improvements
performed between seasons and inspect the "inventions" making the work at
the mill easier. Many of the friends and relatives here for the project 40
years ago are no longer with us except in fond memories. The mill still
remains quaint but has evolved, with much tender loving care and hours of
hard labor, to a state inspected facility.
Lain's Cider Mill is still operated by Lain family descendents. Opening the
last weekend in September and closing the day before Thanksgiving.
OPEN 7 Days a Week 9am-7pm
Custom Pressing 1pm-7pm
At the mill we sell cider, apples, barrels, wine making supplies, homemade
pies, jellies and jams and we have gift baskets upon request. We press
customer's apples, supply recipes for hard cider, allow visitors to be part
of the process and we enjoy the opportunity to visit us for a spell with our
Thank you Eddie and Mother (Edwin Hall Lain and Bertha Louise Totten Lain)
for your fine family business and strong work ethics.